Work Experience Student Blog
I joined Prospects for a week, starting on Monday 3 July, to gain some experience in a work environment. I have an interest in marketing but I wasn’t sure what this job type would involve. Over the week, I have learned many skills such as using “Canva” to create designs which will be used on the Prospects Twitter page and using Excel to record and catalogue stories already written in past editions of ProspectUs, the internal newsletter.
Watch Bethany's vlog on our YouTube channel
I have enjoyed my work experience with Prospects as I have learnt multiple skills which I will need in many aspects of my life, I have been given responsibility to do Prospects work and upload it on to the website and social media profiles. I have also worked within a friendly team and had the support from Stephanie Brain, Digital Marketing Manager at every stage of my experience.
I am currently at sixth form completing my A levels alongside part time working on the weekends in retail. This experience has allowed me to gain an insight to the marketing career and the daily tasks which I could be doing and the different paths I could take after I finish sixth form.
I have learnt about the various elements that make up the whole marketing mix for example: digital, communications, website and social media. Tasks I have undertaken have included:
- social media management and content planning
- using Twitter to research potential partners for business development, then following them and encouraging them to follow the corporate account back
- website content management
- writing customer case studies and a blog post for the staff newsletter about my week as a work experience student
- creating visual social media posts using an online design resource and then posting them on the corporate Twitter account
- learning about video presenting and interview techniques
- presenting my blog post as a short video clip and then uploading to the corporate YouTube channel so a link to it could be included within the newsletter article.
Work experience is a brilliant way to get an insight to the workplace and help narrow what career path you want to take. It is also a good thing to have on your CV as it shows you have many different skills.